The aim of the Association is to promote the sport of angling on our waters for the benefit of our members...
Southport and District Angling Association was founded in 1906 and is now one of best established angling associations in the North West of England. The Association offers an excellent choice of waters to fish, with double-figure barbel from the River Ribble to specimen bream from the vast but scenic 190-acre Anglezarke Reservoir. We have nearly four miles of the Rufford Canal, a choice of stillwaters and of course, the traditional 'home' waters of the Crossens drains, of which there is approximately 11 miles within our leasehold.
What can S&DAA offer:
With a large Association membership, we are well placed to cater to a broad range of coarse angling. Whether it is match fishing, specimen fishing or just fishing for pleasure, we are sure we can provide you with the best angling experience you could hope for. Amongst the listed venues, often set in the idyllic Lancashire countryside, there is a broad range of coarse angling for you to sample: canal, lake, pond, reservoir or river - we've got the lot!!
President: Frank Fleetwood-Hesketh
• Malcolm Bannister
• Colin Russell
Chairman: Michael Johnson Tel: 01704 224001
Secretary: Paul Tabron Tel: 07921 134703
Membership Secretary: Malcolm Ingram Tel: 07926 364127
Match Secretary: Graham Johnson Tel: 07931 761468
• Stuart Bradshaw
• Phil Clegg
• Terry Corfield
• Andrew Crombie
• Steve Johnson
• Peter Paxton
Eddie Taylor Tel: 01704 228893
Steve Johnson Tel: 07768 212070
Anglezarke and Upper Rivington:
Andy Holt Tel: 07742 389453
Stuart Bradshaw, Andrew Riley Tel: 07542 105420
Peter Paxton Tel: 01704 213690
When a small numbers of anglers formed the Southport & District Angling Association in 1906 one wonders if they could have foreseen that the Association would still be established over one hundred years later.
The first lease held by the Association was for the Railway Pits adjoining Rufford Railway Station (still there - now called Rufford Meadow fishery), dated 1906. Around that time they also obtained the fishing rights to Crossens Drain or Sluice. It is interesting to note that prior to the present pumping station being built in the 1950’s one could still catch flat fish in the Sluice. The old sluice gate system had of course been used to drain Martin Mere since the early 16th Century, and there is a reference from Farrers "A History Of North Meols” which has the Bannisters of Holmeswood and the Heskeths of North Meols contesting with some force as to who owned the fishing on Martin Mere. Good catches of Bream, Roach, Eels and Pike it seems were being taken in those early days mostly for food.
Some extracts from the Association minute books reveal on the 15th December 1964 Walter Rimmer resigned as the Secretary, stating he would no longer take unjustified criticism however he had the confidence of the vast majority of the membership and he and his wife were presented with a clock to the value of £20.
October 26th 1965 saw the death of Mr. A.E. Hall who had for many years been the Association treasurer. The January 18th 1972 committee meeting was informed that J.W. Ball, Chairman, had recently died. On May 20th 1966 a sixty year anniversary dinner was held at the Masonic Hall, Duke Street, Southport. At that time and up to around the late seventies, the association was a closed shop with just 50 or so members. Very shortly afterwards they introduced an open membership and we have flourished as an organisation ever since.